I was bored in my Accounting class tonight, so I put a list together of situations where a potentially well-intentioned comment can be taken offensively. I’m often easily misinterpreted when speaking, so I’ve had many situations where I’ve intented to say one thing, but I came across as saying something offensive.
5. “Would you like some gum?”
4. Offering an elderly person a seat on the bus.
Some bitter seniors are offended by this.
3. Offering to pay for a friend who makes less than you.
Maybe they’ll take it the wrong way? Maybe they’ll take advantage of it.
2. “Honey, you’re done eating already? And you’re going up for thirds?”
1. “Honey, I think you should get a gym membership.”
I don’t know if this message can be delivered without being offensive Mike, please comment.