Follow @theurbancountry on Twitter Find us on Facebook Subscribe to theurbancountry.com via e-mail Subscribe to theurbancountry.com via RSS

Brussels: Narrow Lanes & Neon Vests 51

Grand Place - Brussels, Belgium

Grand Place – Brussels, Belgium – Photo by James Schwartz / The Urban Country

The distinct two-tone siren from a Belgium ambulance echoes fourteen floors below the perch where we have set up camp on day one of our two-week trip to Europe.

It is 6:30AM and we have just arrived after a 19-hour journey from China – which included a 10-hour flight from Beijing to Brussels which only felt like a few hours due to my normally elusive deep sleep during flight.

The first four cyclists I spot out of my downtown Brussels hotel room window are wearing bright neon reflective vests and helmets – not a sign of an established and accepted bicycle culture.

Cyclists in Brussels, Belgium

Reflective vests and helmets on Brussels cyclists – Photo by James Schwartz / The Urban Country

As the day wears on, I notice some basic bicycle infrastructure on some streets, and I spot several people in regular clothes riding bikes.

But I didn’t see groups of cyclists bunching up at traffic signals waiting for a green light – cyclists were mostly one-off occurrences. My home town of Toronto, it seems, even has scores more cyclists than Brussels seems to have.

The bicycle infrastructure that I observed here seems inadequate. The bike lanes were very narrow – even by North American standards. Cars, public transit and pedestrians seem to be the most-catered-to modes of transportation here.

The inadequate infrastructure seems to explain why so many Brussels cyclists feel compelled to wear neon vests and helmets.

Bike lanes in Brussels, Belgium

Narrow painted bike lanes in Brussels, Belgium – Photo by James Schwartz / The Urban Country

Besides the narrow bike lanes, there seemed to be some positive provisions that catered to bicycles. I spotted several signs exempting bicycles from being subject to one-way streets.

Brussels also has a bike-sharing program called “Villo!”, with 2,500 bikes at 180 stations around the city.

Bike sign in Brussels, Belgium

One-way street for cars, two way for bicycles – Photo by James Schwartz / The Urban Country

Bike sign in Brussels, Belgium

Do not enter, except bicycles – Photo by James Schwartz / The Urban Country

Villo! Bike sharing in Brussels, Belgium

Brussels Villo! bike share system – Photo by James Schwartz / The Urban Country

Although Brussels might be lagging in bicycle culture, walking around the city proved enjoyable, and there are an abundance of beautiful public spaces with amazing scenery to enjoy here in the city.

No more than one hour after arriving in Brussels, a waiter who served us breakfast on a patio in the scenic Grand Place started to reminisce on the 22 years he lived in Toronto. “I really miss living in TO”, he said with a sad frown on his face – with Brussels City Hall circa 1455 in the background enamouring me as he spoke.

Perspective is everything.

As I watch the road warriors pedal past me throughout the day, I think to myself that I will indeed need to wait until tomorrow when I arrive in Amsterdam to get a true taste of an established bicycle culture that the Dutch are famous for.

I am now loading my pack and in two hours I will be on a train headed for Amsterdam.

James D. Schwartz is a Transportation Pragmatist and the Editor of The Urban Country. You can contact James at james.schwartz@theurbancountry.com or follow him on Twitter.

Here are a few additional photos from our day in Brussels:

Bike in Brussels, Belgium

Bike statue in Brussels, Belgium – Photo by James Schwartz / The Urban Country

Electric Car in Brussels, Belgium

Plug-in electric vehicle in Brussels, Belgium – Photo by James Schwartz / The Urban Country

Manneken Pis in Brussels, Belgium

The Manneken Pis in Brussels, Belgium – Photo by James Schwartz / The Urban Country

Atomium Brussels, Belgium

51 thoughts on “Brussels: Narrow Lanes & Neon Vests

1. Reply Julianferguson Mar 16, 2012 9:15 am

As a

2. Reply Julianferguson Mar 16, 2012 2:15 pm

As a

3. Reply Julianferguson Mar 16, 2012 9:22 am

As a resident in Brussels, I must admit that infrastructure for bicycles is pretty woeful. Patchy, disconnected, and often half finished. However funnily enough they have a 5% modal share. Cities in the US like Portland, which have 5-8% of people cycling are put up as model cities. Makes you chuckle.

• Reply Krystal Jun 30, 2016 3:35 am

I’m not certain where you’re getting your information, but good topic.
      I needs to spend a while finding out much more or understanding more.
      Thanks for great info I used to be in search of this information for my mission.

4. Reply Julianferguson Mar 16, 2012 2:22 pm

5. Reply Ryan Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

I always viewed Bruges as Belgium’s ‘cycling city’. Brussels has always seemed like a better city to walk in though.

6. Reply Ryan Mar 16, 2012 10:51 pm

I always view Bruges as Belgium’s ‘cycling city’. Brussels has always seemed like a better city to walk in though.

7. Reply Easy Mar 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Did he say what he missed about Toronto relative to Brussels?

8. Reply Easy Mar 17, 2012 12:12 am

Did he say what he missed about Toronto relative to Brussels?

• Reply Cindi Jun 30, 2016 3:19 am

What’s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve
      discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads.
      I am hoping to contribute & help different users like
      its helped me. Good job.

9. Reply alexwarrior Mar 17, 2012 2:57 am

I had similar thoughts on brussels. I had intended to try the bike share there, but after a few hours of walking around, I decided against it. I survived plenty of riding in hectic london, but brussels was a bit too far outside my comfort zone. There sure seemed like a lot of nice cycling cities in Flanders, riding the train north to amsterdam though!

10. Reply alexwarrior Mar 17, 2012 7:57 am

• Reply Christopher Appleton Nov 25, 2013 4:39 pm

As a frequent bike rider in both cities, I think you made an odd choice. Brussels is far from perfect, but way less hectic than most of central London. Even with London’s recent improvements it is still not a place for an amateur cyclist.

• Reply Florence Jun 30, 2016 3:23 am

Good info. Lucky me I recently found your
      site by accident (stumbleupon). I have bookmarked it for later!

11. Reply Green_Idea_Factory Mar 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Construction will start on Wednesday of some modifications to central boulevards in Brussels which are meant to improve things for cyclists and others (more about that in a moment).

As the (more or less) capital of the European Union, it would be great if Brussels was a best practice example of as many things as possible. But is not a poor region so – as I understand it – it cannot really get EU funds which are doled out from the institutions housed in the city, and of course, serving their employees (not to mention fellow EU citizens).

The way the place is governed also makes things difficult to implement things quickly: There is the government for the Brussels Capital Region (BCR – in Belgium there are three regions, the others being Flanders and Wallonia) and within the BCR there are 19 municipalities which have a fair amount of local control.

So, in response to the construction the two main cycling orgs in town are asking their members and fellow citizens to thank the politicians for the changes and so on:

About this, earlier today I had a discussion over Facebook with a non-elected but well-placed transportation official for the BCR:

Todd Edelman – What will this actually look like? Like the photo (in the above links)?

Official – more or less – but a bit farther away from the car doors I hope. An overall renovation of the boulevards has been under discussion for the last 10 years, so until something happens, give me a paint job anytime !

Todd Edelman – Um, “… a bit farther away…”? You don’t know because that is the responsibility of the Municipality of Brussels? They didn’t let you know? What is the change in the general configuration? Will the authorities be less likely to do other changes later, or will this hopefully show that there are lots of people who want to ride? What IF the lane IS in the door zone? That can make things worse, depending on how wide the lane is. Are cyclists currently allowed to ride side-by-side in normal lanes and will the lane be wide enough to do that? Will this actually make confident cyclists – those who already rode here – ride closer to the park cars?

Official – I didn’t see the plans… (but I almost physically forced them to do this change, as did hundreds of cyclists joining several actions during the last five years…). Normally, 4 times 3 meters should make for decent bikelanes if you only keep 2 times 3m for cars – so you can easily leave 80cm for doors and 1m30 for the bike lane, which is just OK to ride side by side. But I’m not sure, because I didn’t see the plans ;-). The ultimate goal is to close off traffic in the centre of town, creating a square in front of the stock exchange, with a loop system for cars. That’s been voted by the city council, so planning can start for the final layout. But as these things go, it won’t be for 5 years before we see anything substantial. And yes, we already did counts last year, we easily got +- 200 cyclists an hour without infrastructure in horrible traffic conditions, so I feel this might be a HUGE change in cycling in Brussels.

Todd Edelman – But I also wonder about intersection treatments.

Official – Well, intersections are mostly with traffic lights and bike boxes, there’s one special intersection in the middle a T-with the blvd, where we tried to put in something new, but again, I don’t know what they finally decided to do.

• Reply Amber Jun 30, 2016 3:17 am

Hi, I do believe this is a great website. I stumbledupon it
      😉 I am going to revisit once again since I bookmarked
      it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be
      rich and continue to guide other people.

12. Reply Green_Idea_Factory Mar 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Todd Edelman – But I also wonder about intersection treatments.

13. Reply Agimjo Mar 19, 2012 2:24 am

If you want to see Amsterdam, you indeed have to go to Amsterdam 😉 This is a nice, multi-facetted impressionist view of the cycling situation here in Brussels and some other things that go with it. Note that cyclists are allowed two ways in virtually all one-way-streets. I would also say that in many or most cases, the problem with infrastructure these days is not design, but implementation. Anyway, I’m glad it didn’t rain during your stay and hope you did have the chance to get some really good beer before you moved on to Amsterdam.

14. Reply Agimjo Mar 19, 2012 7:24 am

15. Reply James Schwartz Mar 19, 2012 8:46 am

He alluded to missing the night life in Toronto and the upscale restaurant industry in Toronto – which he was intimately involved with.

• Reply Debora Jun 30, 2016 3:23 am

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the long run and
      it’s time to be happy. I have read this put up and if I could I
      desire to suggest you few attention-grabbing issues or tips.
      Maybe you could write next articles regarding this article.
      I wish to read even more things approximately it!

16. Reply lagatta à montréal Mar 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Bruges is so small that you don’t even have to cycle – I’ve heard great things about Ghent for cycling – though there are some cobblestone streets.

Shame on Brussels. Not only is it pathetic next to Amsterdam, but even Paris has made such improvements in terms of cycling infrastructure that Brussels is really left in the lurch.

• Reply Bart B. Van Bockstaele Jul 13, 2012 4:32 pm

I was born in Bruges… over 50 years ago. I was so glad when I was able to leave that hellhole. Don’t get me wrong, it is a great city for tourists, but I will never forget the Royal Ontario Museum’s slogan of 15 years ago: “Don’t live in the past, visit it!”

• Reply garcinia cambogia hoax Jun 30, 2016 3:33 am

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to
        be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries
        that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top
        and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects ,
        people can take a signal. Will probably be
        back to get more. Thanks

17. Reply lagatta à montréal Mar 23, 2012 8:39 pm

18. Reply Kris Jun 20, 2012 10:03 am

Dear, in Belgium all “one way streets” are by law “two ways” for bicycles !

19. Reply Kris Jun 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Dear, in Belgium all “one way streets” are by law “two ways” for bicycles !

20. Reply Bart B. Van Bockstaele Jul 13, 2012 9:32 pm

21. Reply Bart B. Van Bockstaele Jul 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Possibly. But you’d have to be in love with cobblestone biking to think that ^_^

22. Pingback: Rural Bike Infrastructure in the Netherlands ← The Urban Country

23. Reply Christopher Appleton Nov 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Brussels is indeed woefully inadequate when it comes to bicycle infrastructure. Surprising considering how good many of its neighbours are. There are signs of improvement, but it is still decidedly second rate by northern European standards.

24. Reply Zelda Jun 30, 2016 1:45 am

Wow, this post is fastidious, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things,
    thus I am going to let know her.

• Reply Lanora Jun 30, 2016 3:51 am

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an extremely long
      comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.
      Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Regardless,
      just wanted to say fantastic blog!

25. Reply garcinia cambogia liquid Jun 30, 2016 2:05 am

You really make it appear so easy with your presentation but I to
    find this matter to be actually one thing that I think I’d
    never understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely vast for me.
    I am taking a look forward for your subsequent put up, I’ll try to get the hang of
    it!

26. Reply Audra Jun 30, 2016 3:21 am

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the internet the easiest thing to
    be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while
    people think about worries that they plainly do not know
    about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could
    take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

27. Reply Hosea Jun 30, 2016 4:54 am

My brother recommended I might like this blog.
    He was entirely right. This post truly made my day.
    You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!

28. Reply Rosella Jun 30, 2016 5:38 am

Hi colleagues, how is all, and what you would like to say
    regarding this article, in my view its truly amazing for me.

29. Reply Sibyl Jun 30, 2016 5:43 am

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively useful and it has helped
    me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & aid different customers like
    its aided me. Good job.

30. Reply food4patriots reviews Jun 30, 2016 5:53 am

I think the admin of this site is truly working hard in support of his web site,
    for the reason that here every material is quality based stuff.

31. Reply Edward Jun 30, 2016 7:55 am

It’s wonderful that you are getting ideas from this piece
    of writing as well as from our discussion made here.

32. Reply Kenneth Jun 30, 2016 8:02 am

Hi would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a difficult time
    selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

33. Reply www.pomehouse.com Jun 30, 2016 9:37 am

Neglect old rusty copper pipes in your plumbing method, use a PEX
    pipe that is polyethylene plastic.

34. Reply Santiago Jun 30, 2016 9:48 am

I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to be what precisely
    I’m looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content to
    suit your needs? I wouldn’t mind composing a post or elaborating on a few of the subjects you write regarding here.

Again, awesome blog!

35. Reply Brian Jun 30, 2016 10:00 am

Hello! I’ve been reading your blog for some time now and finally got
    the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from
    Dallas Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the
    excellent job!

36. Reply Leonel Jun 30, 2016 10:05 am

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an really long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say great blog!