Follow @theurbancountry on Twitter Find us on Facebook Subscribe to theurbancountry.com via e-mail Subscribe to theurbancountry.com via RSS

Dad Arrested For Picking Up Kids At School By Foot 202

image

Screenshot from YouTube video of Jim Howe being arrested for picking up his children on foot

A Tennessee father was arrested recently by an overzealous officer for picking his children up at school by foot. The school’s policy is that children can only be picked up by parents driving cars or kids can board a school bus.

Parents who wish to pick up their children on foot or by bike are apparently shit out of luck. Thankfully I don’t live in Cumberland County, Tennessee, because they would have a fight on their hands.

Jim Howe became concerned about the long line-up of cars that extended over a mile on a busy highway. So he decided to pick up his children by foot, and was told by the school to go back to his car and wait in line like everybody else.

Must Read on The Urban Country:

Here are the more compliant parents, waiting patiently in line to pick up their children:

image

Photo courtesy of Channel 6 WATE News Clip

image

Screenshot from YouTube video of Jim Howe being arrested

The school provided Howe a form to fill out that would permit his children to leave the school alone (his children are 8 years old and 14 years old), but they wouldn’t release his children to him until after the long line-up of cars was gone – to presumably encourage him to get his car and sit in line like a compliant sheep.

Here is the dialogue leading up to the arrest:

Officer: “Guess what. Guess what. It’s the rules. No we’re not going to argue about it”

Howe: “Here’s a rule, here’s a TCA code. School is out, my children are to be given to me. When school is out.”

Officer: “It don’t say when. They have, they have, they have, they have. No, no, no. School is out. They will give you your child, but it doesn’t say when now does it.”

Howe: “Tennessee state law says within a reasonable amount of time, that is 15 minutes.”

Officer: “Put your hands behind your back.”

Howe: “Okay, no problem. Go ahead. Opening yourself up for a lawsuit.”

Officer: “I’m not staying here arguing with you. Disorderly”

Howe: “That is fine with me”

After going outside, the officer scolds the cameraperson (presumably Howe’s partner) and threatens to arrest her if she doesn’t get out of the way of traffic.

Here is the full video:

Is this how far car culture has gone? It is depressing enough to see a long line-up of cars waiting to pick up children from school, but to prohibit parents from picking up their children on foot or by bike? This is beyond ludicrous.

Every time I witness such a sad spectacle, I reminisce on the lovely scene I witnessed in Amsterdam last year. When school is out, parents socialize in the school yard, and not a single parent pulled up a car to pick up their child.

Amsterdam school pick-ups by bike

Amsterdam school pick-ups – Photo by James Schwartz / The Urban Country

This always revives my hope for the future of our society. But how much more enslaved by car culture will our society become before we start heading down a more rational, logical path, creating more healthy, liveable places to work, live and play.

James D. Schwartz is the Editor of The Urban Country and is based in Toronto, Canada. You can contact James at james.schwartz@theurbancountry.com or follow him on Twitter.

i share the road

More Articles Like This:

202 thoughts on “Dad Arrested For Picking Up Kids At School By Foot

1. Reply crank Nov 26, 2013 4:34 am

That. Is. INSANE.

2. Reply JohnFraser Nov 26, 2013 8:55 am

That redneck sheriff is just wonderful. The world would be a little boring if we didn’t have our plump little American friends to liven things up with displays of mule-headed dumbness from time to time.

3. Reply Octavian Nov 26, 2013 9:44 am

It may have something to do with the perceived safety of children. I’m thinking something like kidnapping or child predators. Again, this would probably be perceived, not real, circumstances.
    Either way, it doesn’t excuse the behaviour or the “rules”. What the school effectively did was kidnapping.
    This is a very strong argument in favour of home-schooling.

• Reply James Schwartz Nov 26, 2013 11:19 am

I don’t think there is any logic here, other than the school wanting parents to sit patiently in the car line. Whether the person walks up or drives up, the school still needs to verify that the parent is the child’s parent. Furthermore, the form that they wanted him to fill out was consent to let his children leave school property by themselves. So if the issue was children’s safety, they wouldn’t have pushed that form to him.

At the end of the day I think the school was just pissed off because he wouldn’t wait in line like everybody else, so they were trying to stick it to him by not releasing his kids…

• Reply Knut Iversen Nov 28, 2013 1:33 pm

ist that a contradiction? If the school could not verify who the father was, why did he then have to fill in a form to release the children (only a parent could sign that I guess!)

• Reply yesmaybepossibly Jun 11, 2014 9:57 am

James made no contradiction. The part about not verifying the father was in response Octavian. Everything after *Furthermore* is more proof that it’s not about preventing the kids from child predators like Octavian was theorizing. Because if that were true then they wouldn’t have pushed a form on him that said that his children could walk home alone.

James never said that they didn’t know that he was the father, he was just responding to Octavian. It’s clear to anyone who watched the recording and read the article that the school and the security guard knew he was the father.

• Reply El Aura Dec 4, 2013 6:25 pm

The question how does it inconvenience the school if a parent ‘jumps the line’ in this way? It’s a bit like somebody ‘jumping’ the line by only having carry-on baggage and nothing to check in when they take a flight.

Only in some very minor ways (eg, not having the license plate as an additional identification, if they even use that at all). There is only one understandable semi-reason I can think of. That is to prevent people from parking their car nearby causing disruption by chaotic parking or endangering their children by crossing a road for the parent’s benefit of to not having to wait as long. But that shouldn’t really be the school’s responsibility.

• Reply Will Davis Dec 9, 2013 4:05 pm

I think clogging the side streets by the schools is preferable to a queue clogging the highway intersections where 100x the traffic is disrupted instead.

• Reply yesmaybepossibly Jun 11, 2014 9:59 am

the answer to your question: power tripping

• Reply mindpower Jun 11, 2014 6:53 am

This is typical American logic. Not “educate kids not to get in a car with a stranger”, instead “waste time verifying that the driver of every car is in fact the child’s parent”.

• Reply LegalCat Nov 28, 2013 7:18 pm

Right, because kidnappers and child predators are well known to not have cars.

4. Reply ReadandFeed Nov 26, 2013 11:22 am

What if a parent doesn’t own a car and regularly walks or cycles and wants to encourage their children to do the same? Going to be a bunch of fat kids at that school.

• Reply Gregory Wahl Nov 26, 2013 11:31 am

You obviously have never been to Tennessee! 😉

• Reply ReadandFeed Nov 26, 2013 11:38 am

Good point, I haven’t 🙂 But I have lived in rural Ontario where car culture rules (people don’t even walk a km) and there are a lot of fat kids there.

• Reply Gregory Wahl Nov 26, 2013 11:43 am

Yep– from Buffalo myself, and understand that completely. Even in urban TN, which is more like a giant suburb, cars rule– apparently enough to cause this ruckus!

• Reply Astrid Nov 28, 2013 3:20 pm

I lived in Tennesse for three years (I’m German) and fortunately never made this kind of experience. I would have gotten livid.

• Reply MommaRomma Jun 11, 2014 12:53 pm

I reside in TN, and the city I live in has an ordinance that if you live within 2 miles of the school your child attends, they are not eligible to ride the school bus, and requires you to either pick them up via car, or they walk/bike. The herds of children walking everyday is awesome.

• Reply James Ritchie Jun 11, 2014 3:26 pm

I have. Never have I seen a school act like that, or a police officer dumb enough to make an arrest is such a case.

5. Reply Stuart Gairns Nov 26, 2013 1:31 pm

What a petty, officious little cunt… clearly revelling in the modicum of power his job affords him.
    It’s arseholes like that that gassed the jews

6. Reply Laxeger Nov 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Don’t you just love living in the great nation of the USA. I never heard of such foolishness that these schools make up for rules! No wonder they have so many shootings in that country. It sure is a black eye to their system of doing things!!!

• Reply SurlyGurl Nov 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Please do not lump Tennessee in with the rest of the country. Every state is different. Heck things are different from county to county. Glad I don’t live in Cumberland County!

7. Reply Richard Johns Nov 26, 2013 5:56 pm

I may have misunderstood, but it seems that Howe could have signed a form to allow his kids to walk home by themselves (not be picked up). Howe could then (presumably) meet his kids as they exit the school and walk home with them. Then Howe would be (de facto) picking them on foot, but officially the kids would be leaving independently. The only difference would be that no school official would be verifying the hand-over of care from school to parent.

I’m not exactly sure why Howe sought a confrontation, rather than do this. Most likely he’s highlighting the silliness of the rule that says that the school has to monitor each child as the parent collects them.

• Reply Salts Nov 26, 2013 6:00 pm

But he did not want to give his children permission to leave without him, that’s the part he objected to. There would probably be some day where he would be late picking them up and had he signed that form the school in all likelihood would send his kids off on their own because the father had signed the release form so that if something happened to them it would be his fault for signing the form, not their’s for letting the kids go.

• Reply Richard Johns Nov 26, 2013 6:10 pm

I guess you’re right. But can a school really keep track of kids after they leave their classroom? Do they hold them together in a pen? I’ve never heard of that. Why would Howe want his kids to be part of such a system?

If Howe wants his kids to wait at school till he picks them up, then he can arrange that with his kids.

• Reply Salts Nov 27, 2013 4:09 am

GIven the absurd circumstances, I would not be surprised if this particular school would more or less force the kids off campus, despite Howe’s instruction for the kids to stay there until he arrives had he signed the form.

No form should have to be signed for what happens after the last bell rings, and the school should be a safe place for kids to wait if their parents are late.I think he did the right thing by not signing the form.

8. Reply aliciakennison Nov 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Just wow… I’m in Australia where schools have competitions to increase the number of people who walk to school each day rather than taking cars. This just blows my mind. What a joke.

9. Reply Kris Nov 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Wow unreal. I’d hate to see that cop if someone actually got confrontational. Without that uniform that guy is just another loser. What a stupid rule god forbid people get a little exercise and walk or bike with their kids. By the looks of it that cop should walk each kid to their parents vehicle he could use to lose a few lbs. What a waste of tax payers money. Protect and serve my ass I’m sure nothing will happen to that idiot and he will go on his marry little way.

10. Reply Jimbo Nov 26, 2013 8:25 pm

uhhhh.. when I was in elementary school, I always walked the mile to and from school alone or with friends, parents back then couldn’t give two shits what we did after school as long as we show up for dinner. This has far less to do with car culture than paranoid parenting. When did kids become such inept little turds that they can’t even walk a couple blocks? Must be genetics…

• Reply Har Davids Nov 27, 2013 6:50 am

You make it sound as if the kids are to blame and not their petrol-headed, paranoid parents and teachers. If you have a drive-through to get your dose of junk-food, why not one to pick up your kids? Actions like these may mean that un-motorized travel will soon be illegal in some parts of the world.

• Reply TURNERO Nov 27, 2013 11:47 am

“Actions like these may mean that un-motorized travel will soon be illegal in some parts of the world.”

By some parts of the world you must only mean the US since no other country has the same reliance on cars as the US or willingness to go against common sense.

• Reply la_gune Nov 29, 2013 8:47 am

Have you ever been to Germany ? It´s almost the same !
          You only don´t get arrested, if you want to pick up your kids by foot. But that´s the only difference…

• Reply Reality Dec 1, 2013 5:32 pm

I live in Germany, across the street from a school, and I see the kids every day walking home, or riding their bikes, or even being escorted to the train by their teachers, unless their parents come to pick them up, again by foot, or bike, or train, or car… so… yeah.

• Reply Hazard Jun 11, 2014 8:34 am

In Germany I saw kids walking to school at a windy cold day. RESPECT!

• Reply itsme Jun 11, 2014 9:47 am

umm during primary school I rode bike to school 4km every day even when it was -20 Celsius and he road was frozen and slippery so I fell sometimes. The only exception was when there was too much snow to ride a bike, in that case I walked. I’m from Finland.

• Reply Ambience Jun 11, 2014 10:50 am

“I’m from Finland”… well that explains it 😉

• Reply Jim_in_Denver Dec 5, 2013 7:35 pm

My understanding is that the child of this man is a “special needs” student and most likely shouldn’t be walking home alone.

• Reply porkybits Dec 5, 2013 11:09 pm

The child was not walking home alone, the article states he was going to walk home with his father.

• Reply Jim_in_Denver Dec 6, 2013 1:49 am

Yes, I am aware. I was responding to the comment above who basically said “This is about paranoid parenting… when I was a kid I used to walk a mile to school, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends.”

• Reply Ronald Renwick Jun 11, 2014 10:50 am

No all special needs people are incapable of doing things. Lots of them hold jobs, drive cars, or have kids. A walk home is nothing.

11. Reply Benjamin Osgood Nov 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Only in America. No wonder the whole world is justified in laughing at us. This is embarrassing.

12. Reply sjokolademelk Nov 27, 2013 5:06 am

That’s fucking retarded

13. Reply SparksinKY Nov 27, 2013 6:36 am

Not surprising. I’m from Tennessee. In 5th grade my parents sent me to a private school with similar rules. On my very first day, my dad got chastised for trying to park across the street and walk in to get me, rather than line up and wait. Even though he already had me and we were walking to the parking lot that was just a street-crossing away from his car, the crossing guard made me turn back and go wait by the school while he got in line. It took an extra 15 minutes probably and I ended up being one of the last ones to get picked up, just standing there alone in my new kid awkwardness.

• Reply Ivana Nov 27, 2013 10:48 am

That is just UNBELIEVABLE. Idiocy at its purest O_O

• Reply JMR Nov 27, 2013 10:25 pm

The further you go south of the Mason Dixon line, the lower the IQ of the authorities.

• Reply teralee sampson Nov 29, 2013 10:29 am

The sherriff was the messenger, criticise the people at the schools who make such unhealthy, un-environmentally friendly rules.

• Reply Justizin Dec 3, 2013 5:38 pm

The sherriff was woefully misbehaving, to arrest a parent for demanding access to their children for “Disorderly”?! Just another case of a cop who doesn’t know the law and believes the nearest school administrator’s word is the law, which it isn’t.

• Reply James Ritchie Jun 11, 2014 3:29 pm

No, unfortunately, the authorities are just as dumb, or dumber, north of the Mason Dixon. I could give you stories of Chicago and new York City cops that makes the police officer in this article look like a genius. Cops are not hired for intelligence anywhere, and there’s one police force above the Mason Dixon that won’t hire a police officer if his IQ is over 115. Then they wonder why the officers do dumb things.

• Reply r00fus Dec 3, 2013 5:28 pm

A private school – amazing your parents put up with that bullshit. That would be an immedate enticement for me (as a parent) to get my kid out of that kind of institution.

• Reply rogerpenna Dec 6, 2013 10:13 am

Public schools may try to teach your kid about EVOLUTION. That is much worse on the eyes of someone from Tenesee than having to wait on a ridiculous line of cars to get your kid.

• Reply gg Jun 11, 2014 10:17 am

Um, no it’s not.

Sincerely, someone from TN who went to private school and wanted to (and did) learn about evolution.

• Reply Erin Jun 11, 2014 11:36 am

He said PUBLIC school. I guess private school didn’t do much for you in the department of reading.

• Reply Rick Davis Jun 11, 2014 12:41 pm

You obviously went to Government schools. The OP was stating that the reason to send you children to Private schools is so they would not be taught about evolution.

14. Reply Melisme Nov 27, 2013 8:25 am

If I ever choose to live somewhere and my kids grow up not being able to walk to school and play in streets and gardens without constant adult supervision and interference, I believe I’ve failed as a parent.

15. Reply HardHabits Nov 27, 2013 10:35 am

The USA is becoming a sh*t hole of obsessive control freaks

16. Reply CptHollywood Nov 27, 2013 10:51 am

It must be great to live in the FREE WORLD. Land of the Free! They have so many bullshit laws in place…pretty much a fascist society.

• Reply MrsD Nov 28, 2013 11:25 am

We stopped being the land of the free when we let fear take over. We have slowly given over our freedoms for the illusion of safety. This seems like its its issue control rather than safety, that’s always the next step. Not until the people smarten up, educate themselves before a vote, will we have our freedoms back!

17. Reply bob Nov 27, 2013 11:40 am

who gives a fuck about america

18. Reply the_lemur Nov 27, 2013 11:57 am

Parents should stage a protest and pick up their kids on foot or by bike, just to show how absurd this rule is. See if the cops are willing to arrest them all.

• Reply edthsdgh Jun 11, 2014 9:50 am

That would mean that the parents have to walk to school….what are you? a terrorist? Seems like it to me.

• Reply the_lemur Jun 11, 2014 4:48 pm

If standing up for common sense against an absurd abuse of authority constitutes terror, so be it.

19. Reply Michael Phillips Nov 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Parents wait in line or make your children ride the school bus.

20. Reply Nik Edmiidz Nov 27, 2013 12:30 pm

I had a similar experience walking from Point Roberts, WA to Tsawwassen, BC. The Canadian border patrol told me to stand in the middle of the road in between all the cars, because that was the rules for waiting in line.

21. Reply Dévorah Saouyin Corona Nov 27, 2013 2:18 pm

It is absurd, what if they don’t have a car or if it’s in the shop? I just can’t get over it… He doesn’t know confrontational, he should meet my dad, he would have probably walked in and taken me after kicking that cops ass, nobody was gonna keep him away from his little girl and in all honesty that’s how it should be… This is absolutely ridiculous!!!!

• Reply Cyriaque Nov 29, 2013 6:15 am

This is the result of the MADNESS process the western world is gone into. ENSLAVING parent for the sake of CHILDREN protection…RIDICULOUS!!!
      Here in Africa, kids walk miles to go to school and nothing happens. You say we are not living in the same environment, so if we chose to raise our kids by giving ALL the rights and NO obligations, we should just SHUT UP and be SLAVE. Africans fought a long time for the SLAVERY abolition, NOW western world is fighting to ENSLAVE themselves.

• Reply Billy Nov 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Never met the bloke but I’d like to shake your dads hand.

We let the school borrow our children from 0900-1515 so they can (hopefully) teach them what we can’t. Outside those hours, get the hell out of our lives until we choose to let you.

Always had a soft spot for the ‘Mericans but seriously people, what happened to you? Jones, Allen, Jefferson and FDR would not have wanted their people living like this.

22. Reply hubs Nov 27, 2013 3:25 pm

the most stupid cop EVER!!! they should check his IQ, if he’s suitable for the job…

23. Reply LotusGirl Nov 27, 2013 6:39 pm

This is so embarrassing. The thinking is so backward. If more people walked/cycled, you wouldn’t have such a backup on the motorway. It would be a win/win for everyone. No wonder the ex-pat population is growing. Any place is better than living there.

24. Reply luke Nov 28, 2013 7:02 am

land of the free, what a joke

25. Reply Baconcheese burger Nov 28, 2013 10:58 am

Fuck the rules, fuck this mindless shit.

26. Reply Julie Nov 28, 2013 11:18 am

Gee and I thought America was ‘home of the free’ sounds more like a dictatorship to me

• Reply Marcel Popescu Nov 28, 2013 12:12 pm

America is a democracy, which is a form of dictatorship where you get a chance to change the dictator every four years. (One of the titles of the US president is “commander in chief” – it’s in the constitution.)

27. Reply Vuohiherra Nov 28, 2013 12:39 pm

In Finland we have this thing called reilu meininki. My kids are 10 and 8 and they stay at home alone when we go to work earlier than their schools begin, they go to their schools by bikes or walking and they come back while we are still working.

Why on earth someone is picking the 14-year old from school with car in first place? Isn´t there any public transport available? On bicycles or something?

• Reply April Nov 28, 2013 3:22 pm

There are huge areas of the United States with no public transportation. None. And where it would be dangerous to ride your bicycle.

• Reply BadBetty Nov 28, 2013 10:35 pm

In America we have this thing called media and 24 hour news that broadcasts ONLY the horrible things that happen in all 50 states in order to scare you so you never let your children out of your sight. You would not believe how kids don’t even play in their own neighborhoods anymore or the parks without parental supervision. Now, we have laws where kids cannot be home alone under the age of 12 or parents could be charged with neglect. Nice, right?

• Reply Helge Dec 4, 2013 3:52 pm

Weird. In Norway, kids walk home from school unsupervised. (Or ride a bus if more than 5km) Some parents pick up kids by car – but that is only to save time. It is not considered a necessity.

• Reply ME-B Dec 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Read The Culture of Fear. It’s quite eye-opening

• Reply yesmaybepossibly Jun 11, 2014 9:48 am

Same in America too, but different parts of America are different. This happened in Tennessee, I’ve never been there and don’t know much about that state besides it being really conservative.

In Oregon you’ll see kids walking, riding bikes or taking buses. Some parents may pick them up as well, but usually they live far away from the school. When I was a kid I would either ride the bus or do the hour and a half walk home if it was a nice day out.

Biking in my home state, and particularly my home town, is really popular. So it is usually peoples preferred mode of transportation.

• Reply Mass_Resident Apr 30, 2014 2:26 pm

This is so, so true. What people don’t realize is that these same incidents happened years ago, we just weren’t hearing about them 24/7. There are millions of children in this country, yet if one thing happens to one child, the entire nation thinks the country has gone mad and we must all lock our kids away ‘for their safety.’ The right thing to do would be to teach kids how to be safe, don’t talk to strangers, even simple things like how to cross the street. I let my 10 year old cross the street to school the other day and I thought one of the other parents was going to call Social Services. We have 3 teachers standing outside the school and yet every parent feels the need to walk their 10 year old to the door. When did we stop teaching our kids how to be independent? We (well, not me!) are raising a generation of lazy wimps.

• Reply yesmaybepossibly Jun 11, 2014 9:43 am

not all kids, parents or states are like that. The situation where parents pick up their teenager from school is definitely not the norm in America.

But in the case of the article, it seems at least one of the children that the father was picking up is a special needs child. So she may not be capable of going home alone.

• Reply Will Davis Dec 9, 2013 4:06 pm

nation of fear + lack of independence (or at the least, encouragement of independence)

28. Reply Math Nov 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Greetings from Holland with laughter!

29. Reply frank Nov 28, 2013 3:46 pm

i live in amsterdam, parents go on bike, its not even seen as a positive to go with a car when you live around the corner #somuchtolearn

• Reply mindpower Jun 11, 2014 7:55 am

Yes, in fact you’re considered inconsiderate and lazy if you travel a few hundred metres to school by car. And kids cycle on their own (at least by the time they are 14 they can definitely walk or ride to school themselves)

That’s how it should be. This USA phenomenon is ridiculous.

30. Reply J.A.PRUFROCK Nov 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Its almost like their not aware they’re the fattest nation on earth.

31. Reply Guest Nov 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Ah, Tennessee…winning since never.

32. Reply Ty Nov 29, 2013 11:06 am

My guess is the school doesn’t want a bunch of adults they don’t know in the building while students are still there for safety reasons.

33. Reply rol247 Nov 30, 2013 5:22 am

Can’t wait until this piece of shit crap country finally goes down.

34. Reply MVMn Nov 30, 2013 9:28 am

This is beyond absurd.

35. Reply Fred's Head Dec 1, 2013 6:38 am

What the h does “by foot” mean? Or is car culture so pervasive that people have forgotten the expression “on foot”?

36. Reply Luc Beaudry Dec 1, 2013 9:34 am

Cycling is high on my list of good things, and when I read about this “rule” and this arrest I think: “we can do better”. I also think there’s a big assumption in the article. What if none of this has to do with car culture? Begin discussing 😉

37. Reply Christina Anthony Dec 1, 2013 4:38 pm

how insane are the adults in this country becoming???? When I would go get my grandkids from school here in Texas, I don’t wait in the drive line, I park on the street, walk down, let the teacher know I’m taking them and off we go… this cop, that school… they are nuts!! This father should be able to have his children… and what kind of trauma do you think the kids experienced watching their dad get arrested just because he cares about them??? We need help, common sense help.

• Reply Mass_Resident Apr 30, 2014 2:22 pm

I used to live across from our elementary school. Every day, lazy parents would block my driveway, park in front of the fire hydrant, bock the bus lane…. then get out, open the door for their 5th grader, hold their backpack for them, and walk them to the door. Ridiculous. This was on a small street, too, not a busy road.

38. Reply Repeatedly Outraged Dec 1, 2013 11:56 pm

It’s all about control and the abuse of power to maintain control at all costs. What happened here is repeated in countless ways across the U.S. Think of it as a top down phenomenon: the public see the U.S. Government spending the last 40yrs turning 2.25 million Americans at any one time into incarcerated felons, 70% for simple possession of recreational drugs. 25% of the world’s prison population but only 3% of the global human population proves that authoritarian control is a crucial tool in the U.S. political class’ desperate effort to prevent personal freedom from really being achieved. Take your pick, TSA, NSA, CIA, DEA, ATF, Militarised SWAT Teams, etc…..the U.S. Government distrusts its own citizens, neighbours distrust neighbours, petty police distrust everyone! The cop tries to enforce a moronic regulation without engaging his brain and responds to the slightest challenge with outrageous power-tripping and threats and acts as if a bank robbery is in progress. When PUBLIC SERVANTS think it’s ok to treat citizens like this, all our freedoms are put at risk!!

39. Reply tkeen Dec 2, 2013 10:14 pm

What happened to the school buses?I was taking buses at 14, and walking home from school at 8.

40. Reply Tyler Longren Dec 3, 2013 5:15 pm

Wow, sounds like a few state troopers I’ve had run-ins with. All seem to be the type of people who were picked on in school and now get to carry a gun daily. Not good.

41. Reply Christopher Johnson Dec 3, 2013 5:55 pm

I agree this was stupid. Common sense should have ended this debate before it made it to a video on the internet, but I’d also like to point out, most places aren’t like this. This isn’t America. It is one town in the middle of Tennessee. If it was everywhere, it wouldn’t be news. Plus, this is the biggest stretch to consider bicycling news.

42. Reply dsgsdg Dec 3, 2013 6:42 pm

Is there a way to donate to this guys cause or fund or whatever?

43. Reply Jacqui Garcia-Bowman Dec 3, 2013 10:27 pm

Because having 300 adults picking up 300+ kids by foot would in no way be more dangerous or chaotic. Noooooooo…

• Reply the_lemur Dec 3, 2013 10:44 pm

It could be chaotic, but that could be addressed by organization. Maybe it would be worthwhile to look at places where 300 parents do indeed pick up 300+ kids. And as for dangerous, 300 people jockeying for position, looking for parking, eager to get away quickly … more potential for danger than most scenarios involving 300-odd pedestrians.

• Reply Mass_Resident Apr 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Here’s a crazy idea….let your kids ride the bus! You know, that big yellow thing with seats?

44. Reply Chad Riden Dec 4, 2013 3:24 pm

way to go, redneck clown sheriff! Maybe TN can be on The Daily Show again. Thanks for making us all look like idiots.

45. Reply me Dec 4, 2013 4:24 pm

the charge for the officer and the school district? kidnapping, interference with parent or guardian, wrongful arrest, defamation.

46. Reply riiight Dec 4, 2013 8:12 pm

He didn’t ‘pick his kids up on foot’. He DROVE to school, dumped his car on the road to walk one block and then load his kids in the car, pull an illegal U-ey, and DRIVE them home.
    There’s a difference and a context here that you’re all missing.

• Reply Reaverbait Dec 4, 2013 8:56 pm

Did you see where he parked his car? Did you see him park illegally (as you must have done in order to know he “dumped” the car)? Did the people at the gate refusing to let him take his children know the car was parked illegally and that he had nefarious plans for illegal U-turns while the children were in the car?
      Did the Officer Of The Law know all this, or was he just being a petty bully confusing ‘school red tape’ with ‘the law’?

47. Reply reitama Dec 6, 2013 5:28 pm

Here in New Zealand i walk down and wait in the hallway or outside in the ground, when school finishes the kids are let go…some (god forbid you guys in the USA) even walk home by themselves…..just like i did over 30 years ago…..

48. Reply Joe_the_Troll Dec 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Car culture isn’t the problem here. Cop culture is. It is no longer “protect and serve,” it is “intimidate and harass.” This cop needs to be fired and never work as a cop again.

49. Reply Dill Do Dec 12, 2013 8:05 am

Oh man americans are stupid. Not all of them, but too many…

50. Reply Pavel Šimek Dec 12, 2013 8:54 pm

You have to pick up a 14yo kids from school in US? Isn’t it a bit crazy? I had my first motorcycle that age. I always traveled to school alone since I was 7yo old – by bus, tram or subway. Europe is a bit different…

• Reply Mass_Resident Apr 30, 2014 2:18 pm

They are smarter in Europe than they are here. In the US, if something happens one kid out of the millions who live here, everyone freaks out and says ‘this hits too close to home!’ even when they live 3 states away. Everyone thinks their kids are going to be stolen, when, statistically, that is NOT the case.

• Reply yesmaybepossibly Jun 11, 2014 10:06 am

At the end of the video (around the 6min mark) they talk about how their special needs daughter was held by the school for 1.5hrs crying in front of classmates and not allowed to call her parents.

So at least one of the children is special needs, and may not be capable depending on her disability, of going home alone.

51. Reply Sureyya Uslu Dec 13, 2013 11:27 am

This policeman reminds me of Harold and Kumar.

52. Reply Mike Brason Dec 15, 2013 7:16 am

Surprising. This is the kind of rule they apply only to arrest only black people…

53. Reply Fausto Dec 18, 2013 12:31 am

Well, if they bend the rules for one person, everyone might start doing it…

54. Reply aanonn Dec 19, 2013 8:26 am

MADNESS.
    “only in America”

55. Reply Erin Dec 30, 2013 10:03 am

I don’t think this is a matter of being “enslaved by car culture,” but a matter of fear and paranoia driving our society. Something happens to a child, the school gets sued, ridiculous rules are put in place to avoid further lawsuits. There is much more at work here than people simply being slaves to driving. That being said, it is a shame all around. I walked to school everyday until I was 12.

56. Reply Zazzels Jan 4, 2014 3:19 am

When I first read the headline I thought this is definitely a joke. It can’t be true. Till I saw the video.
    How did I survive my childhood? Started walking from and to school alone when I was between 7 and 8.
    Since the 9/11 the “world” has surrendered to fear.

57. Reply Stephen Hinkle Jan 10, 2014 3:27 pm

I think he did not commit a crime for walking to pick up their child. I bet if this goes to trial, the father will win hands-on. It is more likely the school district insurance policy forbids walking.

58. Reply Lucy Jan 15, 2014 1:25 pm

That’s stupid wtf

59. Reply OrdinaryDude Jun 11, 2014 8:37 am

The dumbassery in the US continues.

60. Reply p r Jun 11, 2014 8:56 am

Someone needs to lose their job.

61. Reply Ganimoth Jun 11, 2014 9:04 am

Nicely rigid system you have got there.

62. Reply Glenn Jun 11, 2014 9:18 am

In Norway kids walk home from school themselves.

63. Reply Adriene Schiavo Jun 11, 2014 9:25 am

The one thing that makes me wonder, and only thing that would make me somewhat side with the school is that if they had been in there car that day (in line already) had left the car in line and walked past everyone to get their child. Their car would have blocked the line from moving forward, which would have been frustrating to other parents picking up their children, because they would have had to merge out into traffic to go around their car. If they walked from their house or other location (like a parking lot or other designated PARKING area) then I see absolutely no problem with what they did.

64. Reply rick2497 Jun 11, 2014 9:32 am

Years ago I would have found it to be unbelievable that someone could be arrested for picking up his children on foot or that a school would make it a crime to do so. Nowadays I find it ludicrous and, thus, totally believable. The more outlandish, the better chance of it happening. Our society has become a feeble, sick joke.

65. Reply Quertz Jun 11, 2014 9:38 am

What a joke, harassment of free citizens doing nothing wrong

66. Reply guest Jun 11, 2014 9:43 am

This just proves that police are people too. If you piss them off, even if you are correct, they can still make your life very difficult. So when dealing with a police officer in a difficult situation, even if you know you are correct, you need to be respectful or they’ll make your life as difficult as they legally can.

67. Reply edthsdgh Jun 11, 2014 9:47 am

USA is a fucking retarded country. Seriously.

68. Reply odelsgutt Jun 11, 2014 9:50 am

Please tell me this is a joke. Not even Americans can be so stupid! Here in Norway parents are discourage to drive or pick up kids with their cars since its an unhealthy habit. And if you are closer than 3 km (1,8 miles) you dont get any free buss ride. You are supposed to walk or cycle to school. And this is in Norway. Where we dont have ANY snow day at school. Hey, if kids cant walk 3 km through a snowstorm, they too weak to survive anyway. So with those found childhood memory, my question is quite simple: WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING WITH USA???

69. Reply Wowwtf Jun 11, 2014 9:52 am

I remember being a kid and running home from school. What a nation of retarded pussies we are becoming

70. Reply Kendral96 Jun 11, 2014 10:06 am

This isn’t just car culture. This is modern American culture. Everyone distrusting of their neighbor, and a short-sighted need for the paternalism of authority. It’s fucking disgusting. Anyone who supports this kind of transformation of the country should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

71. Reply HaydenG Jun 11, 2014 10:08 am

why the fuck would you put your children in public school.. i dont get it.
    Yeah I want my children being educated by the people that brought us obamacare… The guy who got arrested is a moron.

• Reply jasonallen19 Jun 11, 2014 10:30 am

Why is he a moron?

• Reply HaydenG Jun 11, 2014 10:46 am

for allowing the government to educate his children. I wouldnt let my children within 30 miles of the governments grimy meathooks.. Privateschool or homeschool

• Reply jasonallen19 Jun 11, 2014 10:51 am

Eh, I wouldn’t jump to call him a moron. I’m not sure if there’s any private schools around, and not every parent is fit for being a dedicated teacher. He and his wife might work all the time, etc.

However, he may feel like a moron now, because he’s realizing how inept many public education officials are.

• Reply Anonymous Person Jun 11, 2014 12:34 pm

So what are your qualifications for teaching every subject or are you one of those The bible is literal types who will just doom their children to life long stupidity after homeschooling them on fantasy and half truths never teaching them to question anything or think critically?

• Reply HaydenG Jun 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Each parent should educate their children how they see fit. No matter how stupid creationism is its not going to “doom” a child. What you believe about the universe and region has no effect on your success in life.
            Hard work, discipline and creativity are what all successful people need to be taught as children.
            Sent from my HTC

—– Reply message —–

72. Reply Bob Jun 11, 2014 10:12 am

This doesn’t surprise me.
    I used to live in the largest city in Tennessee, Memphis. (Laugh all you want.)
    I’m a thirteen year old Chinese male. At the time I was about 11 and weighed 120 pounds. The southern culture of Tennessee is hospitable, but disgusts me at the same time. Food, transportation, sprawl- everything is sickeningly, disparagingly diffferent from the Bay Area. When I went to school it would never be on foot, only by an old decrepit bus that dropped us off not half a mile from my house. I could have easily walked. But no one else ever would, unless they were on some crazy diet, looking to lose weight, or fitness-obsessed otherwise. I didn’t realize how miserable I was out there until I moved away. Now, I walk to school, take public transit into the City on weekends, and am generally one of the most fit people in my class. On weekends, I go on 20 mile bike rides to the downtown of my neighboring city. I don’t ever want to return to that rural backwater again. Being obese and also surrounded by obese people was never particularly encouraging.

73. Reply inerlogic Jun 11, 2014 10:24 am

limp dick fucking deputy, hope he was sued for unlawful arrest, kidnapping and being a shithead….

74. Reply Donkey Jun 11, 2014 10:44 am

Awesome!!! This made my day! So funny

75. Reply Ronald Renwick Jun 11, 2014 10:47 am

Is this over? What was the turn out?

76. Reply Fightphile Jun 11, 2014 10:50 am

Were they ever any updates to this story? Did father who was arrested get charges dropped, or a lawsuit filed, anything like that?

77. Reply Georgenhofer Jun 11, 2014 10:53 am

WTF, the point is not whether or not a parent is biking or not. That’s his child, he should be able to pick them up WHENEVER he wants, HOWEVER he wants, even if it is the middle of the day.

78. Reply Edmund Jun 11, 2014 11:30 am

When you agree to let the government indoctrinate your kids every day, you open yourself and your kids to all kinds of abuses. This is why my wife and I homeschool. Our kids will never set foot in a government “education” center.

79. Reply Ezlo Jun 11, 2014 11:57 am

I think the whole ‘car culture’ is kindof a side issue here – the real issue is this mindless obsession with explicitly following ridiculous rules that are blatantly counter to common sense. It’s morons like this that are responsible for children getting inhalers and medicine taken away, leading to, in some cases, death. The problem is this whole ‘Zero Tolerance’ mentality, it’s just insane.

Btw, the story I was referencing: http://gawker.com/boy-with-asthma-dies-after-school-confiscates-his-inhal-1480309194

80. Reply Scott Hamlin Jun 11, 2014 12:39 pm

So the lesson here is the people who run schools can sometimes be dumb enough to make idiot rules.

81. Reply Christopher Sigle Jun 11, 2014 12:53 pm

Un-freakin-believable…
    This is the example schools are setting for your kids.

I walk EVERY DAY.

This school should be penalized for creating emissions with all those idling cars and for not wanting to encourage walking and bikes. Shoot, the township should be working with the school to resolve the traffic problem in town, instead of arresting and violating the rights of TAX PAYERS…
    It is beyond me that this school refused to act HUMAN and show this Man, this Parent the respect and understanding that he and all the rest deserve.

Shame on them for not taking a more respectful and responsible stance towards their parents.
    Sorry to say but, NO SCHOOL IS GOING TO KEEP ME FROM MY KIDS. Middle of the day, or otherwise. They forget themselves and think they were in the hospital giving birth. I suppose it is a problem with parents being ALL TO WILLING to relinquish their parental rights little-by-little too.
    What would your Grandmothers Say if she saw you now?
    Do The Right Thing AMERICA!!!

82. Reply DubDub Jun 11, 2014 12:58 pm

If this is disorderly conduct, basically everything you do that the authorities don’t agree with can be “disorderly conduct.”

83. Reply Celtic Jun 11, 2014 1:12 pm

It is Tennessee, Hick asshole cop on a power trip. Go figure…

84. Reply jldevoy Jun 11, 2014 1:32 pm

But how will usa reach maximum density if they allow children to walk?

85. Reply brokecracker Jun 11, 2014 3:03 pm

The Entire School System and The Judicial System in This Country Is A JOKE. The Schools Can’t Protect the Kid’s from Psycho’s with Weapons turned lose on society by the Justice System that Keeps sending them through a Revolving door, rather than Keeping them in a Psych Ward, Because it Costs Too Much! But These Same Morons can Waste Time and Money Arresting and Harassing People that Are Responsible and Law Abiding. WTF is in the Water? In regards to Kid’s Packing Guns and Knives to School. If they want to Act Like Criminals, then They should be Treated Like Criminals. Strip Search their Punk asses before entering the school, Then Lock Em Down, till School is out. Or Spend the Money being Wasted on Busing, and Install Metal Detector’s and a Professionally Trained Guard in the School that Can Deal with Deranged Children.

86. Reply Ty Reynolds Jun 11, 2014 3:11 pm

What about kids riding their bikes home with their parent? Common sense is under fire.

87. Reply James Ritchie Jun 11, 2014 3:24 pm

What a stupid police officer. And whoever is running that school needs to be fired. So does the idiot cop. If this guy doesn’t file a lawsuit, he should. How long are we going to put up with this kind of slavery?

88. Reply Rob Crawford Jun 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Small countries… Like all of you… including Australia… Europe…
    A) You don’t have to worry about defending yourselves and the world – so keep quite.
    B) Without the US, you’d be pray to anyone that wants your resources.
    C) You can’t defend yourselves – so stop acting like you could.
    D) You are a Majority of 1 race, not as multicultural as the US so stop pretending you’ve got it all figured out cause you don’t – you’re nothing without the US and their big Military.
    E) Remember – you were being overrun – the US saved you – yet you’re so snarky – definitely should have just stay out of your problems. Hopefully the US will just let you be and if you get overrunn. awww too bad so sad for you.

• Reply RWJP Jun 11, 2014 6:09 pm

What does any of that have to do with American culture being batshit insane? Are you trying to suggest that because of the points you made, the arrest of a man trying to pick up his own children from school is right?

A) Really? Have you bothered looking at what is going on on Europe’s doorstep recently, with Russia? Europe definitely has to worry about defending itself right now
      B) Nope
      C) Any country in the EU with a capable military could defend itself. Germany and the UK especially, whose military far outclasses the US Military
      D) Really? Ever been to the UK? Oh wait, no of course you haven’t, I doubt you’ve even left the city you were born in. Europe, and especially the UK is hugely multi-cultural.
      E) What, where you didn’t join WW1 until 3 years late? Or where you joined WW2 2 years late, in a war that was “won” by the Russians?

I really dodn’t know what your ridiculous points have to do with this article or even this topic, maybe you should just stay off the internet for a while.

89. Reply BudHall Jun 11, 2014 7:12 pm

What a f…. incompetent officer!! He must have missed class at the Academy the day they taught the People Skills class. And, since when does an officer enforce school policy?(Yes, I know he cited the arrest was for “disorderly”, but….)

90. Reply Rod Jun 11, 2014 10:09 pm

The father is the one who has the say, “who,what,when,& how”,concerning their children over and above all school personell,.God is the only one above him!

91. Reply Thomas G. Malloy Jun 11, 2014 10:17 pm

sheeple

92. Reply Allen Runyon Jun 12, 2014 3:57 am

Just another cop on a power trip.

93. Reply LestieS Jun 12, 2014 11:47 am

The UK has the WOW (walk on Wednesdays campaign) just to try get the parents to walk kids to school at least one day a week to avoid congestion around the schools. Half my friends don’t even have a driver’s licence never mind own a car. Absolutely ludicrous!!

94. Reply medford_resident Jun 12, 2014 1:25 pm

the cop needed a beat down

95. Reply Gary Young Jun 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Why do we get stories everyday about STUPID, IGNORANT cops? EVERY FORKIN DAY another uniformed idiot comes out to play

96. Reply jesse Jun 15, 2014 2:47 am

yeah he should be able to pick up his kid on foot but stop saying “car culture” lol you sound like an idiot

97. Reply monique Jun 28, 2014 7:58 am

that is stupid its so stupid its stupider

98. Reply m.phillips Jul 15, 2014 5:08 am

Once the parent has been identified as the legal guardian of the child(ren), the school should transfer the responsibility for their safe care to the parent; 15 minutes seems perfectly reasonable to me.

More parents should take an interest in their kids, walking home with Dad seems like a good way to end the school day.

99. Reply cherrieri Aug 13, 2014 11:02 pm

this situation is not about cars. at all. I can’t imagine how someone could read that a father gets arrested for picking up his own child..and think it’s about car culture. very sad.

100. Reply Kieran Bailey Dec 1, 2014 6:46 pm

What a joke, if a father takes an effort to walk to the school and see his children then why not, it doesn’t seem like a huge problem, just because he is the only smart one for walking. just ridiculous.