I’m not a professional beggar, but I think I can do a better job than most bums that I encounter asking for money. Sometimes if I’m short on change, I will ask somebody if they can spare a dollar or two. People are very forthcoming with money if their impression of you is that you’re credible and honest. I’ve never had trouble getting money from people when I have needed to, and similarly in the opposite situation where I have given money to someone who appeared to need it for the subway, etc. I very rarely give money to people who stand there begging for change unless they actually do something to earn it.
Here are some tips for beggars:
– Do something to impress or amuse me. Some people play instruments (usually home-made). I’ve seen puppet shows as well.
– Do something for me; hold open the door for me, clean my windshield.
– Tell me why you need it, but be sincere and believable and honest.
– Signs that have funny jokes on them help. Examples:
- “Need money for beer”
- “25 cents for good karma”
- “Haven’t been laid in years, need money for a hooker”